[GRASS-user] i.segment vs. i.segment.gsoc

mbrauchler at posteo.de mbrauchler at posteo.de
Wed Jun 10 04:13:33 PDT 2020

Hello list,
I am working on segmentation of aerial imagery in forest areas and have
used both modules (i.segment and i.segment.gsoc) for some experiments.
When running i.segment and i.segment.gsoc with radioweight = 1 on the
same dataset with a threshold of 0.3, I assumed the output should be
similar, but it isn't.
In the manual of i.segment.gsoc it is stated that the threshold will be
multiplied by the number of rasters in the image group, so I tried a
threshold of 0.1 in i.segment.gsoc vs a threshold of 0.3 in i.segment as
I have 3 rasters in my image group. Although the results are now more
similar, they still vary a lot.
I have attached the images to show the derived segments from i.segment
0.3 and i.segment.gsoc 0.1. Can someone help me to understand why this
is happening? I would appreciate it.
Kind regards,
Melanie Brauchler