[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr layer name

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:19:44 PDT 2020

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am using v.in.ogr to import a shape file (line vector) that has only
one layer. Although I am specifying the output parameter in v.in.ogr the
layer name of the imported map still remains the original; it is only the
output map and the associated table that gets a new name as defined by
'output'.

> When checking the connections of that map using v.db.connect:
> v.db.connect -p map=my_new_map at analysis2

> Vector map <my_new_map at analysis2> is connected by:
> layer <1/Watercourse> table <my_new_map> in database
</.../analysis2/sqlite/sqlite.db> through driver <sqlite> with key <cat>

> Is that the intended behavior of v.in.ogr that the layer name does not
get renamed based on the output parameter?

Not sure how much intention is in this behaviour, but the GRASS-internal
layer name is mostly informative. GRASS vector layers are usually addressed
by number, not by name. It is probably safe to ignore the layer name of
native GRASS vectors.

Markus M