[GRASS-user] Problems on MacOS Catalina Installation via Homebrew "Cannot find proj.db"

Veronika Grupp vroni.grupp at web.de
Fri Mar 27 09:43:59 PDT 2020

Dear GRASS GIS users,

After installing GRASS GIS via Homebrew I encountered a problem when I tried to create a new location and set the projection. (I also posted this question on Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60871421/grass-gis-installed-with-homebrew-create-new-location-cannot-find-proj-db-err <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60871421/grass-gis-installed-with-homebrew-create-new-location-cannot-find-proj-db-err>)
Maybe someone of you has encountered the same problem or has any idea what might be the issue..

I work on MacOS Catalina and installed the latest stable release of GRASS GIS (7.8.2) with Homebrew via the osgeo/osgeo4mac tap using the commands brew tap osgeo/osgeo4mac and brew install osgeo-grass (as described on the GRASS website https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compiling_on_MacOSX_using_homebrew <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compiling_on_MacOSX_using_homebrew>).
To get the GUI working also pip3 install wxpython was necessary. I could start GRASS with grass78 on the commandline. When I tried to create a new location and to set the projection/crs

I could not specify an EPSG code
browsing a georeferenced file to use its projection threw the error: "proj_get_authorities_from_database: Cannot find proj.db"
and creation of location was cancelled.

Regarding 1. EPSG codes: the newest proj version does not provide a file with epsg codes, seems like this was already an issue in GRASS 7.6 combined with proj 6.x (https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3863 <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3863>) but still couldn't find a way to get it working e.g. with another epsg file copied into the directory.

Regarding 2. I tried several things that didn't work:

I installed proj 5 (with brew install osgeo-proj at 5) and also proj 6 (with a bottle from https://bottle.download.osgeo.org/?C=N&O=A <https://bottle.download.osgeo.org/?C=N&O=A>) but it throws errors at the same point saying that some library (refering proj) was not loaded and image was not found.

I tried to set the environment variable PROJ_LIB in .zshenv to the respective path where proj.db is located (for version 6 and 7 respectively), still it threw the same error(s).

Do I need to set any other environment variables or might it be something related to GDAL?

Thank you very much.
Veronika