[GRASS-user] How to generate a random DEM Model of given size & resolution

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Sep 28 08:19:54 PDT 2020

Hi,

On 28/09/20 13:52, BHARATH RAM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to generate a set of random DEMs ( epsg code known to me). I am
> aware that I need to use r.surf.fractal and specify fractal dimension.
>
> But how do I specify other parameters of the raster map (like length &
> breadth, resolution?)

You just set the computational region using g.region. Any map you create
will respect that setting.

> Also, can you guide me towards how generate a set of many such maps
> using scripting?

The answer here really depends on your level of existing knowledge. Most
people nowadays prefer using Python for scripting, although you can also
create simple shell scripts. I would suggest that you read through
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_APIs first and come back to
us if you have more specific questions.

> Also, are there any tips for me to follow so as to make this (DEM raster
> map) dataset generation as fast as possible?

Speed will depend on the size of the maps you create.

Moritz