[GRASS-user] Can someone help me troubleshoot GRASS on Windows 10

Eric Eagle eric at eaglefamily.io
Tue Sep 29 13:17:55 PDT 2020

Hi GRASS users,

Longtime GIS'er but newbie to GRASS.  I've never been able to get it to work properly on my workstation and have always fallen back on Esri or, QGIS built-in functions.  Now I am in a situation where I have to get GRASS to work because it seems like the fastest way to do some hydro things.  I am trying to use it inside of QGIS 3.12.

Here is my problem.  I have a UTM-projected DEM as input, I just want to run r.flow and it fails, reporting:

"The following layers were not correctly generated.  C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/1/processing_ipancU/89aab5fc64c6999046d99c2e0028b/flowaccumulation.tif C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/1/processing_ipancU/bded4092193446b883446b88344c55272310fa8/flowlength.tif C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/1/processing_ipancU/f4a65331b4ef4fa5a6b2ba826efdd9b4/flowline.gpkg

You can check the 'Log Messages Panel' in QGIS main window to find more information about the execution of the algorithm."

However, when I check the log messages panel, here is what I see:

Grass7 tab: only INFO level messages showing the original command payload

all the other tabs: nothing

So, not much given to troubleshoot.  This behavior happens with *every* GRASS tool I try to run, including even v.buffer.  So something is definitely not right.

*About my setup*

I do not have admin access rights to my workstation as this is a production box in a big enterprise.  However I do have access to write to C:/ directories outside of the typical locked down stuff (Program Files, Program Files (x86), etc).  I have QGIS currently installed to C:\QGIS_3 and GRASS sits under that.  The workstation is not connected to the internet in case that matters.

Thanks for any insight,
eric