[GRASS-user] surface roughness

Carlos Henrique Grohmann de Carvalho carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:05:27 PST 2021

Hello, Carlos Grohmann here (I wrote the first version of
r.surface.roughness)

Surface roughness is one of those subjects that can mean very different
things depending on the context. I believe that you already have seen these
papers, but I recommend them for a better understanding of surface
roughness in geosciences.

Berti, M.; Corsini, A. & Daehne, A. Comparative analysis of surface
roughness algorithms for the identification of active landslides
Geomorphology, 2013, 182, 1-18
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2012.10.022

Grohmann, C. H., Smith, M. J., & Riccomini, C. 2011. Multiscale Analysis of
Topographic Surface Roughness in the Midland Valley, Scotland. Geoscience
and Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on, 49(4): 1200–1213.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2010.2053546

The thing is, there are many definitions of surface roughness. Vector
Strength and Fisher's K are two of those, so these results *are* maps of
surface roughness. Just like standard deviation of slope, which, in my
opinion, is very good for geomorphology and morphotectonics. One nice thing
about std-slope is that you don't need any add-on to calculate it, just
make a slope map (r.slope.aspect) and then you can play with r.param.scale
to calculate the standard deviation using several window sizes and see
which one gives the better answer for your scale of analysis.

And while we're here, I'll leave a few suggestions of papers on
morphotectonics. The isobase method is quite nice. If you don't have access
to the papers at the publishers, in my website (carlosgrohmann.com), I have
links for preprints/postprints which have the same content just different
typesetting.

Grohmann, C. H., Riccomini, C., & Chamani, M. A. C. 2011. Regional scale
analysis of landform configuration with base-level (isobase) maps.
Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 15(5): 1493–1504.
http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/hess-15-1493-2011

Grohmann, C. H., & Riccomini, C. 2009. Comparison of roving-window and
search-window techniques for characterising landscape morphometry.
Computers & Geosciences, 35: 2164–2169.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2008.12.014

Grohmann, C. H., Riccomini, C., & Alves, F. M. 2007. SRTM-based
morphotectonic analysis of the Poços de Caldas Alkaline Massif,
southeastern Brazil. Computers & Geosciences, 33: 10–19.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2006.05.002

Grohmann, C. H. 2004. Morphometric analysis in Geographic Information
Systems: applications of free software GRASS and R. Computers &
Geosciences, 30: 1055–1067.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2004.08.002

Hope this helps

Carlos

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM sacit mutlu <sacitmusabmutlu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> good day dear admin. What are the steps we need to take to measure surface roughness in the grass gis program. Is there a list you can send me about this? Because I ran r.roughness.vector code and got only vector strength and Fisher's K parameters. how do i get the surface roughness map ...

Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Energy and Environment - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
- Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -

http://carlosgrohmann.com
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5073-5572