[GRASS-user] Elections results and new GRASS GIS PSC

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 9 11:16:02 PST 2021

[Online version of this announcement:
https://grass.osgeo.org/news/2021_02_05_new_grass_psc/
<https://grass.osgeo.org/news/2021_02_05_new_grass_psc/>]

      New GRASS GIS Project Steering Committee

By the end of last year, the GRASS GIS project called for PSC members
election. A total of/13 GRASS GIS contributors/were nominated by the
community to cover the nine PSC positions.

After the election itself, the new GRASS GIS PSC is composed of the
following nine members ranked by number of votes:

  * Markus Neteler (95)
  * Anna Petrášová (88)
  * Helena Mitášová (86)
  * Martin Landa (83)
  * Verónica Andreo (76)
  * Moritz Lennert (74)
  * Václav Petráš (68)
  * Michael Barton (58)
  * Huidae Cho (56)

For completeness, all relevant candidacy communications, as well as
details about the voting process, have been published
at:https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2020
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2020>

On behalf of the GRASS GIS project, we would like to thank/Hernán De
Angelis/who agreed to serve as Chief Returning Officer (CRO) and all
community members for their participation. Furthermore, we want to
acknowledge the contributions of former PSC members and all nominees.
The development of GRASS GIS is a collective effort and we are all part
of it regardless of our role. So,*CONGRATS to everyone!*

      New PSC chair person

There’s yet one more change to report. GRASS GIS PSC has a new chair
person:*Veronica Andreo* <https://veroandreo.gitlab.io/>. She works as a
researcher in Argentina focusing on environmental drivers of
vector-borne disease outbreaks and works primarily with satellite
imagery and GIS-based time series analysis. For years, Vero has been
very active in the GRASS GIS project, especially with documenting
complex topics in a user friendly way, testing, development of the new
website, coding of addons, outreach, social media and more. She
regularly introduces GRASS GIS to new users and teaches introductory and
advanced courses and workshops. We thank Vero for accepting this challenge!

We want to acknowledge and thank*Markus Neteler*
<https://www.mundialis.de/neteler/>for his enormous efforts and
passionate work on pushing the GRASS GIS development for more than 20
years. While Markus was re-elected as PSC member, he preferred to pass
on the position of chairperson to a new PSC member. Markus is one of the
long runners in the project, as he already started to discover the
software in 1993 as a student. In 1998, he set up a “European GRASS
site” at the University of Hannover, which evolved into an international
development team. From manual source code management, he was part of the
journey to a modern, GitHub-based development system including code
quality testing. Markus is known to be active in conferences, code
sprints, bug fixing, user support, infrastructure management, project
and release management, etc. He will continue to do so!

      PSC roles & tasks

In addition to the chair role, in the firstPSC
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC>meeting, we have defined some
basic areas/tasks and PSC members responsible for them:

  * Treasurer - Moritz
  * Release manager - Markus, Martin
  * Infrastructure manager - Markus
  * Translation manager - Huidae
  * Website & Marketing manager - Michael, Vero
  * Github manager - Vaclav

Of course, *everyone is invited to join and contribute*in these and
other areas:https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Roles
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Roles>.

/The GRASS Development Team, Feb 2021/