[GRASS-user] Building grass version grass-7.8.5

Hernán De Angelis variablestarlight at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 01:31:24 PDT 2021

Stephen,

Let's see if I can help you. I always compile GRASS from source and in
my experience whenever there is a problem the most probable reason is
that a library is lacking. Seldom is GRASS itself the problem.

The instructions Vero linked work of course but these are general and
you need to change them to adapt to your system or preferred setup. So
that depends on you.

I do not see what exactly you are doing or in which OS you are. It seems
that you may need to ensure that python 3 is installed with its relevant
modules. How that is done depends on your exact system. Pay attention
that the GRASS GUI needs python wxWidgets bindings.

Assuming you are in Linux and that you have all the required libraries
(including dev packages) installed, this should work:

- open a terminal and log in as root user

- change dir to /usr/local/src

- get the package file

wget https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/archive/refs/tags/7.8.5.tar.gz

- untar and uncompress the package file

tar -xvf 7.8.5.tar.gz

- change dir to grass-7.8.5

cd grass-7.8.5 (or whatever is called)

- configure, this depends on what exactly you have and what you want to
do. The following is the line I use often. You need to edit this to suit
your system and needs:

|./configure --enable-shared --with-odbc --with-fftw --with-readline
--with-curses --with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj --enable-largefile
--with-motif --with-freetype
--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 --with-sqlite
--enable-64bit --with-geos --with-python --with-netcdf --with-blas|

|-make (use the N = number of cores in your processor to parallelize and
make it complete in less time)

|make -j N|

|- install (this will put a script called grass78 in /usr/local/bin):|

|make install|

- as normal user, type in a terminal:

grass78

GRASS should then start.