[GRASS-user] rgrass7 and rmarkdown: how to avoid showing the percentage of processing

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Nov 5 00:51:29 PDT 2021

Hi Bernardo,

Bernardo Santos via grass-user <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org> schrieb am Fr.,
5. Nov. 2021, 08:45:

> Hi,
>
> when using rgrass7 and rmarkdown, is there a way of avoiding showing the
> percentage of processingo of each command within execGRASS?
> It might get really polluted, mainly when I perform a loop or many
> processings.
> See the figure below:
> [image: Imagem incorporada]
>
> I tried adding "message = FALSE, warning = FALSE" to the chunks, but it
> does not work.

GRASS GIS itself offers a shell variable to set the message style:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/variables.html#list-of-selected-(grass-related)-shell-environment-variables

GRASS_MESSAGE_FORMAT[various modules, wxGUI]
it may be set to either

   - standard - sets percentage output and message formatting style to
   standard formatting,
   - gui - sets percentage output and message formatting style to GUI
   formatting,
   - silent - disables percentage output and error messages,
   - plain - sets percentage output and message formatting style to ASCII
   output without rewinding control characters.

In HPC and cloud computing we commonly use "plain". It prints the
percentage like this

0..10..20..

and doesn't use control characters.

HTH,