[GRASS-user] imported .tif maps lose all data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 25 13:09:57 PDT 2021

On Sat, 25 Sep 2021, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

> try the same steps as I've done (with adjusted paths) and _post the command and the command output_ here.
>
> - grass78/grass80 -e -c columbia_2010_e_dtm_35.tif \grassdata\rastertest
> - enter into the location just created

Helmut,

Problem at this step:

$ grass -e -c columbia_2010_e_dtm_35.tif ./rastertest
Starting GRASS GIS...
Creating new GRASS GIS location <rastertest>...
Cleaning up temporary files...
Cleaning up temporary files...

# PROBLEM (PWD is /data/grassdata/):
$ grass rastertest
Starting GRASS GIS...
ERROR: </data/grassdata> is not a valid GRASS Location because PERMANENT Mapset is missing
Maybe you meant a different directory.
Exiting...

$ grass /data/grassdata/rastertest/
Starting GRASS GIS...
ERROR: </data/grassdata> is not a valid GRASS Location because PERMANENT Mapset is missing
Maybe you meant a different directory.
Exiting...

# The rastertest location exists with the PERMANENT mapset:
ls rastertest/PERMANENT/
DEFAULT_WIND  MYNAME  PROJ_INFO  PROJ_UNITS  PROJ_WKT  VAR  WIND  sqlite/

So, grass here is seeing the GISDBASE as a location, even when the location
is specified on the command line with either that mapset name or the full
path?

I've been having this issue the past few weeks.

Rich