[GRASS-user] imported .tif maps lose all data

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Sep 25 15:46:27 PDT 2021

Le 25 septembre 2021 22:09:57 GMT+02:00, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> a écrit :
>On Sat, 25 Sep 2021, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
>
>> try the same steps as I've done (with adjusted paths) and _post the command and the command output_ here.
>>
>> - grass78/grass80 -e -c columbia_2010_e_dtm_35.tif \grassdata\rastertest
>> - enter into the location just created
>
>Helmut,
>
>Problem at this step:
>
>$ grass -e -c columbia_2010_e_dtm_35.tif ./rastertest
>Starting GRASS GIS...
>Creating new GRASS GIS location <rastertest>...
>Cleaning up temporary files...
>Cleaning up temporary files...
>
># PROBLEM (PWD is /data/grassdata/):
>$ grass rastertest
>Starting GRASS GIS...
>ERROR: </data/grassdata> is not a valid GRASS Location because PERMANENT Mapset is missing
>Maybe you meant a different directory.
>Exiting...
>
>$ grass /data/grassdata/rastertest/
>Starting GRASS GIS...
>ERROR: </data/grassdata> is not a valid GRASS Location because PERMANENT Mapset is missing
>Maybe you meant a different directory.
>Exiting...
>
># The rastertest location exists with the PERMANENT mapset:
>ls rastertest/PERMANENT/
>DEFAULT_WIND  MYNAME  PROJ_INFO  PROJ_UNITS  PROJ_WKT  VAR  WIND  sqlite/
>
>So, grass here is seeing the GISDBASE as a location, even when the location
>is specified on the command line with either that mapset name or the full
>path?
>
>I've been having this issue the past few weeks.

The startup script expects you to provide the full path to a mapset, so when you give it 'data/grassdata/rastertest' it assumes that 'rastertest' is the mapset, so 'grassdata' must be the location. It then checks for a PERMANENT mapset in that location but cannot find it.

After creating your location it only contains one single mapset: 'PERMANENT', so to start GRASS GIS, you have to use

grass /data/grassdata/rastertest/PERMANENT

Moritz