[GRASS-user] Starting GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 26 07:28:59 PDT 2021

I don't know why I'm suddenly having problems starting GRASS when it's never
before been an issue. I should be able to be in any directory when GRASS is
started because ~/.grass80/rc lists the GISDBASE as /data/grassdata. I
assume that the location in that file can be replaced by specifying the
location onthe command line.

But, this is not working.

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ grass /data/grassdata/columbia_river_dtms
Starting GRASS GIS...
ERROR: </data/grassdata> is not a valid GRASS Location because PERMANENT Mapset is missing
Maybe you meant a different directory.
Exiting...

/data/grassdata is the GISDBASE, not a location. I get the same error if the
PWD is /data/grassdata or if I specify the fully-qualified path on the
command line. I'm out of ideas why I'm now having these issues and a clue
stick will be very helpful.

TIA,

Rich