[GRASS-user] Change gisdbase in GRASS 8.x

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Aug 29 21:10:02 PDT 2022

Hi Tom,

1) To point GRASS to the GISDBASE on the external drive, simply start GRASS
once with

grass /external_ntfs_mount/some_location/mapset

Meaning that you give as argument the path to a mapset that you want to use
in the GISDBASE on the external btfs drive. GRASS will remember this then
is subsequent runs so you only will need to do it once.

2) For the external NTFS drive and permissions. How do you mount it? It
does seem to me that the user mapping is incorrect if everything is mapped
to the root user. Either you can use the options to mount it as your user
(at which point it will work on linux, but I don't know what windows user
they will be mapped to (probably the administrator). Alternatively you can
provide a mapping file which maps your linux username to a windows user id
as shown for example here:
https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.ntfs-3g

For ease of use in the long term, I'd probably go with the default mapping
file. Hope this helps!

*-- *
* ^.___*

*( ,__// / Wolf Bergenheim*