[GRASS-user] Change gisdbase in GRASS 8.x

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:32:55 PDT 2022

otrd., 2022. g. 30. aug., plkst. 07:10 — lietotājs Wolf Bergenheim
(<wolf+grass at bergenheim.net>) rakstīja:

> Hi Tom,
>
> 1) To point GRASS to the GISDBASE on the external drive, simply start GRASS once with
>
> grass /external_ntfs_mount/some_location/mapset
>
> Meaning that you give as argument the path to a mapset that you want to use in the GISDBASE on the external btfs drive. GRASS will remember this then is subsequent runs so you only will need to do it once.

It is possible to switch GISDBASE from GUI after starting GRASS in
different GISDBASE.

> 2) For the external NTFS drive and permissions. How do you mount it? It does seem to me that the user mapping is incorrect if everything is mapped to the root user. Either you can use the options to mount it as your user (at which point it will work on linux, but I don't know what windows user they will be mapped to (probably the administrator). Alternatively you can provide a mapping file which maps your linux username to a windows user id as shown for example here:
> https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.ntfs-3g

NTFS is a tricky beast as mount on Linux will just set a single owner
for all files. If nothing is specified, it will be the user mounting
disk (=root). To get NTFS permissions right, you should pass -o
uid=XX,gid=XX parameters to the mount command where XX is your UID and
GID. If disk is automounted, you should look into automounter
documentation how to get things right (fstab entry or enabling user
mount, ...).

Good luck,
Māris.