[GRASS-user] Mini project 2023: Week 5: Improving Single-Window GUI user experience

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Mon Jan 9 08:28:01 PST 2023

Hello guys,

I am sending my fifth report regarding the GRASS mini-project which is also
available here: [1].

1) What did I complete this week?
The PR ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2682)[2] implementing the
Export history button in the Console pane was merged.

The first part of the week I worked on PR [3] which adds an input prompt
sign to the command prompt widget. However, although it was our suggestion
from ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/2585)[4], the intervention into
the command prompt showed programmatically as very unfortunate - it was
really hard to cover all cases of how the text in the command prompt could
be managed. So, we decided to implement the task differently by showing a
hint in the case that the command prompt is not focused. I think it is an
even more user-friendly solution. It is already prepared for merging (see ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2728)[5]).

Meanwhile, I worked on adding "isDocked" parameter to workspace handling in
the PR ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2667)[6] dealing with dock/
undock map display functionality. It was the thing I forget to consider.
However, the workspace issue revealed an error in ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2667)[6] related to closing undocked
map display frame.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

The goal for the next week is to merge both - [5] and [6]. Then I plan to
create a PR on the Console reorganization according to the suggestion in ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/2585)[4].

3) Is there any blocking issue?

There is one blocking error in [6] related to the closing of undocked map
display frame (wrapped C/C++ object of type MapPageFrame has been deleted).
I have already spent several hours to fix it but unsuccessfully. I will
probably put it off now and go back later, with more ideas in my mind.

Have a nice week,

Linda

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/
ImprovingSingleWindowUX