[GRASS-user] agricultural small water reservoir

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 26 07:01:34 PDT 2023

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023, bonushenricus wrote:

> Do you have any articles or searchable projects on the internet to
> recommend the US method?

Enrico,

Since I'm not at all familiar with the area in which you're working I have
no specific suggestions. I did find a web site that summarizes several
models:
<https://stormwater.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/Available_stormwater_models_and_selecting_a_model>.

I've used TR-20 in the past, but every one of my projects has been different
in terms of location, water quality issue, and regulatory requirements.

> In addition, I need to learn how to do earthmoving calculations and then
> use 3drasters, so if you have any advice on how to do that, I welcome it.

Not sure I understand your need. I've often worked with hard rock quarry
operators to model topographic changes and storm water flows. The base data
is the smallest scale DEM available for that location which is then modified
as needed. I'm an applied ecologist, an environmental scientist, and neither
an engineer nor a geologist.

You may have to invent your own approach and document what you've done to
demonstrate to non-technical decision-makers why it's both technically sound
and legally defensible. Effectively communicating complex environmental
issues to decision-makers can be the most important and difficult of our
job.

Best of luck,

Rich