[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal: geoTIFF file no data?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 5 13:28:38 PDT 2023

On Fri, 5 May 2023, Micha Silver wrote:

> This is most probably an RGB color image that GRASS has split into three color bands.

Mica,

It could be, but when I look at the little bit that displays it's all grey
tones.

> I don't see from the output that each band has the same data. You'd have
> to run r.univar on each band to get the statistics (mean, etc)

> Can you view the original tif in a graphics program (or QGIS) to see
> what's there?

Micha,

Nope. Qgis does nothing when I try to add that .tif file as a raster layer,
and GIMP presents a solid black rectangle.

I'm going to try to load any other geoTIFF files available.

Apparently no one has uncorrupted digital topography for this area. I've
asked the Oregon LiDAR Consortium's GIS manager to see if he can wrangle
something from the one data set he said loaded in his ARC/gis, and I've
asked the USGS National Map Team for help getting usfull data from their
database.

Thanks,

Rich