[GRASS-user] Multidirectional hillshading scripts / addons?

B H hemantbist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:20:10 PST 2024

Hi,
I am trying to create a hillshading effect using DEM rasters similar to
ESRI multidirectional hillshading, but I am unable to get anything  in.
grass to perform as good as ESRI (or even gdaldem multidirectional shading).
I am hoping someone in this group has some scripts /addon/tips that I can
try.

So far I have tried the following on a few DEMs ( from 3m  to 100 m grid
sizes).
1) gdaldem  multidirectional hillshading : It's not grass based, but so far
has performed better than other grass options :  with the parameter
zfactor between 1 and 10. But  it does not seem to be quite as good as ESRI.
2) Following code is based on some old discussion on this email list.(Its
seems to exaggerate the hills and valleys more than I would expect)
https://gist.github.com/amcox/b54d65f08fe4448840462901fd6350d4
3) Other variants of hillshading like r.skyview : Tried with several
parameters but it seems to be inferior to gdaldem (It seems to be a 'washed
out' version of the multidirectional. hillshading).

Thanks,
HB