[GRASS-user] Convert vector to STVDS

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:54:14 PST 2024

Hello Ken,

Sorry for such a late reply. AFAIU and some old experience with STVDS, the
approach is by date, i.e., you need a map per date. This is because of the
snapshot logic of STDS. I remember having done animations with vector time
series, but again, that was a long time ago. Have you tried calling the
list of vector maps instead of the stvds? At least to understand if it is a
temporal or spatial topology issue.

There was also a QGIS plugin by Soeren to visually explore STDS (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHt3jJbnYw), and IIUC the time manager of
QGIS required only a vector file with a date field to show animations.

Best,
Vero

El sáb, 2 dic 2023 a las 14:56, Ken Mankoff via grass-user (<
grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>) escribió:

> Hi List,
>
> On 2023-12-01 at 16:30 -08, Ken Mankoff <mankoff at gmail.com> wrote...
> > I have a vector with 115284 lines. From db.select I see
> >
> > | cat |  ID |       Date |
> > |   1 | 278 | 1990-07-10 |
> > |   2 | 278 | 1992-07-30 |
> > |   3 | 278 | 1994-08-29 |
> > |   4 | 242 | 1998-06-05 |
> > |   5 | 255 | 2005-03-03 |
> >
> > That is, 115284 cats and 291 IDs.
>
> Using just one ID to start with (with 80 timestamps) I've created 80
> vectors, each with their own layer and v.timestamp. I can then patch these
> together to one product with multiple layers.
>
> If I t.register all of these, I also see what I expect to see with
> g.gui.timeline. If I run "g.gui.animation stvds=t" it reports "Topology
> [...] is invalid".
>
> Is there a way to export STVDs and see the time component in QGIS or
> KMZ/Google Earth?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   -k.

Dra. Verónica Andreo