[GRASSweb-list][RFC]: Web structure

"Fernández-Victorio Arévalo, Gonzalo" GFernandez-Victorio at IGAE.minhac.es
Wed Aug 6 11:04:31 EDT 2003

Hi

Without dismissing the "evolutionary" approach, and, IN CASE we want
revolution, as a _starting_ point to discusion, here comes a proposal of web
structure. PLEASE, feel free to comment/modify

	1.-Users
		1.1.-What is GRASS
			1.1.1.-What's GRASS
			1.1.2.-Roadmap
			1.1.3.-History and credits
			1.1.4.-Copyright
			1.1.5.-We
				1.1.5.1.-News
				1.1.5.2.-Interviews

		1.2.-Installing [In this place just 5.0.x, 5.4.x, 5.8.x,
6.0.x]
			1.2.1.-Binaries
				1.2.1.1.-Requirements
				1.2.1.2.-Download
			1.2.2.-Compiling from sources
				1.2.1.1.-Requirements
				1.2.1.2.-Download
		1.3.-Starting
			1.3.2.-Tutorials
				1.3.2.1-"Moritz's"
				1.3.2.2-Others
			1.3.3.-Documentation
				1.3.3.1.-User manuals
				1.3.3.2.-Man pages on-line
			1.3.4.-International users mailing list
			1.3.5.-National User Groups
			1.3.6.-Bugs & Wishes [links to 2.2.1]
			1.3.7.-Commercial support [links to 2.4]
		1.4.-Examples
			1.4.1.-Screenshoots
			1.4.2.-Data

	2.-Help needed
		2.1.-Coders
			2.1.1.-Download snapshoot[links to 2.2.2]
				2.1.1.1.-Version 5.3
					2.1.1.1.1.-Requirements
					2.1.1.1.2.-Download
				2.1.1.2.-Version 5.7
					2.1.1.2.1.-Requirements
					2.1.1.2.2.-Download
			2.1.2.-CVS
				2.1.2.1.-Browse CVS web interface
				2.1.2.2.-Anonymous CVS
				2.1.2.3.-CVS write access
			2.1.3.-Submitting code
			2.1.4.-Documentation
				2.1.4.1.-Programming manual
				2.1.4.2.-Miscellaneous docs
			2.1.5.-Mailing lists
				2.1.5.1.-Developers
				2.1.5.2.-Others [Linking to 2.2.4]
			2.1.6.-Historical

		2.2.-Testers
			2.2.1.-Bugs & Wishes
			2.2.2.-Other versions
				2.2.2.1.-Version 5.3
					2.2.2.1.1.-Requirements
					2.2.2.1.2.-Download
				2.2.2.2.-Version 5.7
					2.2.2.2.1.-Requirements
					2.2.2.2.2.-Download
			2.2.3.-Miscellaneous modules
				2.2.3.1.-Grid3D
				2.2.3.2.-r.terraflow
				2.2.3.3.-Others
			2.2.4.-Other mailing lists
		2.3.-Documentators
			2.3.1.-Web developers
			2.3.2.-User Manuals/Programmer manuals
			2.3.2.-¿Translators?
		2.4.-Funding

	3.-Related projects
		3.1.-Visualization
			3.1.1.-Web
			3.1.2.-Vis5d
			3.1.3.-GUIs
		3.2.-Data adquisition
			3.2.1.-GDAL
			3.2.2.-Proj
		3.3.-Statistics
		3.4.-Simulation models
			3.4.1.-Hidrological
			3.4.2.-Agricultural
			3.4.3.-Others
		3.5.-Others
			3.5.-Freegis

Every page should have a menu on the left, up to level 2 (those marked as
x.y.) and a box for search, like current on index.html
Directory tree up to level 2. Directory names, short.
Every page on CVS, with no header, two tags, that could be replaced to
header&menu and footer by a script (maybe using an XML file as an index).
The content should fit in a cell of an HTML table.
First page (index.html), like current, (changing the menu).

Comments???.

I can't promise continued time on the following months (two little babys
comming ;D), but this weekend I'll try to push, this proposal, whatever
comes out from the discussion, or the evolutionary approach, harder. And
I'll try to help onwards. I know isn't too much, but ...

In particular, I've thinking for a time that 1.1.5.x could be something
dynamic (also for evolutionary approach), which in turn could generate more
"visibility" (more "community feeling"). I know this is a scientific
(="serious") software project, but more people couldn't do harm.

And, Markus, what you've done (not only with the web) is great: please keep
going on.

Regards

Gonzalo