[GRASSweb-list][RFC]: Web structure

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 6 11:13:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:04:31PM +0200, "Fernández-Victorio Arévalo, Gonzalo" wrote:

> Without dismissing the "evolutionary" approach, and, IN CASE we want
> revolution, as a _starting_ point to discusion, here comes a proposal of web
> structure. PLEASE, feel free to comment/modify

I'm a strong proponent of the evolutionary approach
as "revolutions" on webpages break deep linking.

It is a good idea to split users and developers,
but I don't think we should split testers and documenters out to visibly.
They actually  belong to the developers group.

We could rename developers to "coders".

> 	3.-Related projects

This sections seems to be too elaborate I believe,
we might not structure it is this detail and use more links.

> Every page should have a menu on the left, up to level 2 (those marked as
> x.y.) and a box for search, like current on index.html
> Directory tree up to level 2. Directory names, short.

I'm for a menu on the right.
Usually close to the scroll bar and puts more weight on the actual
content of the page.

> Every page on CVS, with no header, two tags, that could be replaced to
> header&menu and footer by a script (maybe using an XML file as an index).

Possile, but this preprocessiong script should be simple.