[GRASSweb-list]spam prevention

Chuck Soper chucks at lmi.net
Tue May 27 21:19:18 EDT 2003

At 10:03 PM +0200 5/27/03, Markus Neteler wrote:
>Thanks for writing. Three days ago we were discussing this problem
>on 'grass5', not yet sure what to do. Closing the archives for members
>is easy to do, but then the search engine does not work any
>more. Maybe we should scramble the addresses in the archive?
>Question is how to do that with Mailman..
>
>We have to find a solution to protect the addresses.
>
>Best regards
>
>  Markus

It's exciting for me to get an email from Italy. Everyday I watch 90
minutes of the Giro d'Italia on television. I was upset to see
Cipollini crash, but I'm glad that Pantani is in the top ten.

Also, did you know that Richard Stallman will be speaking in Italy in
a few days? http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html
As you may know, he started GNU:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.it.html

I just looked at my Welcome to the GRASS GIS Users List message and
noticed that it came from: "CREN ListProc(tm) Version 8.2"
<listproc at baylor.edu>
This means that Grass GIS uses CREN ListProc rather than GNU Mailman.

With GNU Mailman it's possible to password protect web archives and
allow non-members to search them. Everyone must enter a generic
username and password to search the web archives. Example:
http://search.lists.apple.com/cocoa-dev

I believe that both GNU Mailman and CREN ListProc support built-in
web-based archiving as well as hooks for external archivers such as
MHonArc (Apple uses MHonArc).

The question is: Can ListProc's web archives be password protected
and continue to allow public searches?

GNU Mailman features:
http://www.list.org/features.html

External web-based archiver, MHonArc:
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html

CREN ListProc notes:
http://www.listproc.net/docs/8.2-notes.html

Current owner of ListProc (CERN has dissolved)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/listproc/

Good luck.

By the way, I'm able to connect to
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/ fine. Thanks.