[GRASSweb-list]spam prevention

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue May 27 16:03:11 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:32:18AM -0700, Chuck Soper wrote:
> Hello,
> I recently subscribed to the International Grass GIS list. The list
> looks very useful and I like the community. Yet, I'm reluctant to
> post any messages because it appears that your archives are not
> password protected. Taking that step would help protect user's email
> addresses from the spam e-mail harvesters. I recently had to close my
> old email account because I was receiving over fifty spams a day.
>
> Many companies and organizations password protect list archives in an
> effort to protect user's email addresses from spammers. Here is one
> example:
>
> By the way, I'm a Mac OS X software engineer learning Grass GIS.
>
> I got your email addresses by clicking on the "In case of problems
> contact us." on the following page:
> http://grass.itc.it/support.html#int_list
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
> Chuck

Thanks for writing. Three days ago we were discussing this problem
on 'grass5', not yet sure what to do. Closing the archives for members
is easy to do, but then the search engine does not work any
more. Maybe we should scramble the addresses in the archive?
Question is how to do that with Mailman..

> P.S. I'm currently unable to access the list archives at:
> http://op.gfz-potsdam.de/GRASS-List/
> I assume that it's a temporary problem but, I thought that I would mention it.

Maybe - try
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/
instead which is a parallel archive.

We have to find a solution to protect the addresses.

Best regards

 Markus

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
                 http://mpa.itc.it