[GRASS-web] GRASS Installation in MSWin

Tony Hürlimann tony.huerlimann at unifr.ch
Tue May 13 02:39:45 EDT 2008

GRASS seems to be a great software.
Unfortunately, I work on Windows XP actually. (I
am not specially happy with that, but that's the way it is now)
I just want you give a feedback on my first
(unsuccessful) experience on installation GRASS
as a totally naive user of the Linux world!

Ok. I was instructed to go to the download page

http://grass.itc.it/download/index.php

There I find the link (GRASS 6.3 (Testing) Installer:

http://grass.itc.it/grass63/binary/mswindows/cygwin/

Ok. On the new page I am instructed that I need
cygwin, hmm... never seen... but ok, what should
I do next? Now I am lost, because:

1) I don't know how to unpack a file like
grass-6.3.0-2.cygwin.tar.bz2 (what is this format?)

2) Should I go to the http://www.cygwin.com/ page
first to install cygwin? I hesitate because I
also see a file called
gdal-1.5.1-1.cygwin.tar.bz2. Is this the cygwin I
need? How can I unpack it. I need more
information abount the *.bz2 file type. Ok: I
goole "*.bz2 file type" where I am informed that
*.bz2 is a popular format. Sorry I didn't know!
Hmmm... I have no time to search for free program
unpacking .... Or ist there a program on my
Windows that does it? I have no idea. I would be nice to be informed.

3) Ok. I read on the same page after "Prerequisites"

"For installation of Cygwin, see
http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5. These
instructions can be used, but at step #3 use
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/cygwin/
(or a local mirror) instead of
http://geni.ath.cx/grass. Also, in step #5 the
version is 6.3.0-1 instead of 6.0.cvs-1, and there's no grass.bat script."

Then I click the link
"http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5" where I hope to find "The instructions".
Instead I find a text as follows:

"MS-Windows native binary
6.3.CVS September 17, 2006 (Updated!) "

???I do not understand. GRASS6.3 is a native
program now?? and it was created already in
2006??? Why on another page it was announced to be the last version?

Sorry that is to much for me! I have no time to proceed.....

Tony Hürlimann

PD Dr. Tony Hürlimann
Departement of Informatics, University of Fribourg
Bld. Perolles 90
CH-1700 Fribourg / Switzerland

email : tony.huerlimann at unifr.ch
   or  : tony at virtual-optima.com
www   : www.virtual-optima.com
phone : ++41 26 300 83 45 / 076 562 65 68
fax   :  ++41 26 300 97 26