[GRASS-web] Green Highland - GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Apr 6 16:23:53 EDT 2009

Hello,

(you reached the Web site list, perhaps it's better to ask the community at
but some answers inline below):

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Jayson Drummond
<jaysondrummond at greenhighland.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a basic knowledge of the ESRI system; will this benefit me in trying
> to use GRASS?

Yes sure - the general GIS concepts are very similar.
Data handling and command usage obviously differs a bit
but tutorials and books are available (and the community of
course).

See also
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_migration_hints

> Would it be suitable for our purposes?  These include
>
> - Identification of areas of conservation designation
> - Land owner boundaries
> - Local council boundaries
> - Analysis of the underlying soil and rock formations
> - Spatial analysis of habitat and species surveys
> - Designated pipeline routes and alternative locations

My answer is yes: in the GRASS user mailing list archive
you can find examples where users mention these items.

GRASS interfaces also well with other software, and it
is interoperable (GIS formats) and portable (i.e., runs on
all common operating systems).

Hope this helps
Markus Neteler