[GRASS-web] Slovakia mirror

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 11 04:22:57 EDT 2009

Hello Pavol,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Pavol Cvengros
<pavol.cvengros at primeinteractive.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Slovakia mirror on my private server with courtesy of Prime
> Interactive Ltd. for a long time on domain grass.sk
> I found that you are looking for tier 1 mirrors. What is needed to become
> one? Is the only one condition to run rsync server to provide mirroring
> capabilities for tier 2 server?

that's right! Just "be open", say, permit others to rsync from you.
All this originates from the times that the master site was grass.itc.it with
limited bandwiths. grass.osgeo.org is well connected (thanks to telascience.org)
so that we reach 2.x TB (!) peaks per months.

However, mirrors don't harm and we prefer a semi-decentralized infrastructure
in case the North Atlantic or Pacific network bones get cut. Still we'd remain
online :)

If you have enough bandwidth you may enable others to rsync from you.
Then please ping us here to update the mirror list (next of your mails will
go through directly).

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler
Foundation Edmund Mach (FEM) - Research and Innovation Centre