[GRASS-web] Upcoming ibiblio mirror changes

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 14 00:30:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM, John Reuning <john at ibiblio.org> wrote:
>> We state restricted on our page (to avoid a server crash) but indeed it
>> is unrestricted :)
>
> Thanks for the response.  I must have mixed up the grass mirror with
> another on the permissions issue.  Everything looks good.

Perfect.

>>> Second, we'll be moving the ftp mirror to
>>> ftp://mirrors.ibiblio.org/grass.  Besides updating the mirror list
>>> page, is there anything that needs to be done for the transition?
>>
>> Please ping us when the FTP site is running so that we update the list.
>>
>> Thanks for fixing http://grass.ibiblio.org/
>
> Will do.  It'll likely be after the holidays when we switch to the new servers.

Fine, please post it also to this list so that other may pick up
for the needed web pages changes.

> I also wanted to open a dialog about using BitTorrent for
> distribution.  ibiblio has a torrent site that we use for other
> projects.  http://torrent.ibiblio.org/  One of our goals for the next
> several months is to add more projects.  The grass software and gis
> sample data sets look like great candidates.  We have search/browse as
> well as seeding software designed for server use.  The torrents should
> never go stale as long as you intend to distribute the content.
>
> If you're interested, we'll make the files available and provide you
> links for your web pages.  In future updates to the web site, we plan
> to add self-service tools for you to take control over your content.

Sounds very good to me.

BTW: The OSGeo-Geodata team was also interested in that, would you
be willing to "torrent" other free geospatial data sets? Then I would bring
up the offer there.

best,
Markus