[GRASS-web] Question with reference to GRASS GIS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 13 12:35:14 PST 2012

Hello,

in general such questions are better asked on the user list.

Some answers inline:

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Daniel Arana <Daniel.Arana at gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I am writing to inquire about GRASS GIS.
> I have some questions:
>
> -In which map scale can I read the respective data out?

That depends on the resolution of the output format. Using ps.map
you can define that as needed:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/ps.map.html

> How accurately is the resolution?

We used GRASS GIS even for high resolution microscope data
at nanometer resolution.

> Is it for example a "point" for a country or does a point correspond to a field of 10 x 10m?

It depends:
- a vector point is a point
- a raster cell is a rectangle (usually square) at the desired resolution

> -concerning the data sets:
> If I want to ascertain for example the erosion resistance of an area, are there any data available like: soil texture, (summer)precipitation, declination/slope, skeletal+humus content, type of land use, surface roughness, temperature...? Or is there the possibility to read something like this kind of data out?

GRASS GIS is an analytical software package. There is a sample data set
available at
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/sample-data/

Furthermore, many different data formats are supported to import own data.

Regards,

Markus Neteler