[GRASS-web] [GRASS-dev] Fwd: Question on history of Raster Tiling in GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Sep 5 01:04:38 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, there is 3D raster library which has tiling. Formerly called G3d (Grid
> 3D?, I suppose), committed on December 29, 1999 in r9499:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/g3d?rev=9499

Just for the record: the libray is much older (1994?).
On December 29, 1999 we uploaded the entire GRASS GIS code base in the
brand new CVS repository to be online a day before the famous "Year
2000" bug being expected.

> There might be some scientific paper referring to it but I didn't find it.
> Here is the current library doc:
>
> https://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/raster3dlib.html

The original G3D library was developed by
(https://grass.osgeo.org/home/credits/)
--> Olga and Roman Waupotitsch: floating point, 3D raster

For history, see also (at page bottom):
https://grass.osgeo.org/home/history/releases/

and
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass41/grass1to4history.html

I found some candidate publications coauthored by Roman Waupotitsch:
- http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.35.2375
- https://books.google.de/books/about/Simplifying_and_Deforming_Through_Hierar.html?id=psNrNwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Best,
Markus