[GRASS-web] Futures - Application possibilities

Tom Hackbarth txhackbarth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:23:16 PST 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm Tom from the Technical University of Munich and I am looking for a way
to model the land use / land cover changes occurring with cities built from
scratch for my Master's thesis. For this reason, I obviously do not have
any historical maps. Just the map of the current state in the region, and
the master plan of the city (which I could compose a second land use map of
with). I am now looking for a simulator that is capable of modelling future
urban growth and its resulting land use changes of the planned city,
without having any maps of past developments.

I have found GRASS and especially the FUTURES tool to be an adequate
grounding for my research question. Unfortunately here also, a historical
background of urban development and land use changes is necessary.

This is why I wanted to make sure whether there are any possibilities to
use FUTURES with just the current and the projected final map or master
plan of a region. Or whether there are any other tools that I can use
within GRASS that fit my problem.

I am very grateful for any advice you can give me.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Tom Hackbarth