[GRASS-web] Futures - Application possibilities

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:08:20 PST 2020

Hi Tom,

the historical landuse data are used basically in 3 places. First,
r.futures.demand requires those together with historical population and
population projections to create a file telling the patch growing algorithm
(in r.futures.pga) how many pixels to flip from non-urban to urban each
step of the simulation. If you are able to provide that information without
historical data, that's fine. For example, if you know how large the future
city is planned to be, then just provide the number of pixels each step.
Second, historical land use is used for deriving probability of urban
growth for each pixel. A statistical model (r.futures.potential) derives
the probability based on various predictors (e.g. slope, distance to water,
road density, or whatever else is relevant) based on which pixels were
developed between the past and current situation. It sounds like you could
use the current state as past and the projected final map as current state
and derive the development potential from there.
Third, it's used for calibration patch size and shape. You could test
different urban patch compactness parameters and sizes as part of various
scenarios.

Hope that helps, I would suggest to move the conversation to grass users
mailing list (you need to subscribe), the grass-web mailing list is meant
for different content.

Anna