[GRASS-web] Suggestions for improving the Green-Ampt infiltration model

程大伟 cheng198493 at chd.edu.cn
Thu Jan 5 05:59:25 PST 2023

Dear Sir or Madam

According to the information retrieval, Green-Ampt infiltration model (1911) is used by the Itzï. However, our recent research found that the inverted saturation zone front surface depth calculated by Green-Ampt infiltration model (1911) does not have reasonable physical significance, that is, the inverted saturation zone front surface depth calculated by the mathematical model being negative value is contrary to the inverted saturation zone front surface depth specified by the physical model being positive value, as shown in Figure 1 (in the attachment). Cheng et al.(2021) discusses this problem in detail in Section 6.2 and suggests using Eq.(9) in section 3.2.1 as a revised model. The solution of Eq.(9) is Eq.(11) for a constant recharge rate W in Section 3.2.2 or Eq.(15) for a time-dependent recharge rate W in Section 3.2.3, respectively.

We hope that the software will be more widely used by scholars and engineers.
To honor the software developers.

Reference:
Cheng, D., H. Zhan, j. LI, and D. Cheng (2021), Characteristics of Inverted Saturated Zone under Unclogged Streams, Journal of Hydrology, 597, 126288.

Dawei Cheng
School of water and environment,Chang’an University,
 Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
Tel:+86 13324510358