[winGRASS] KDE on Cygwin

mblue at nb.sympatico.ca mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 15 11:25:02 EST 2001

bipin,

Whether you use KDE on cygwin doesn't affect which binary version of grass
you use.  The cygwin port of grass will be needed, not the linux version.
Both come from the same sources, but are compiled for the platform being
used.  The linux binaries are needed to run on the linux platform and the
Cygwin binaries are needed for Windows + Cygwin.

KDE is available for Cygwin and for linux.  Both require XFree86 for the
appropriate platform.  On either cygwin and linux, grass uses XFree86 or one
of the other X servers available(unless you want to experiment with the new
native windows XDriver).

KDE is one of many window managers for XFree86.  It also has a lot of extras
that make it more than just a window manager.  I don't know that anyone has
tested grass with KDE for Cygwin, but it should work fine, since grass with
XFree86 has been tested with the twm window manager.  Since KDE on Cygwin is
beta software, not everything may be working.

As long as you use the Cygwin version of grass, with the Cygwin version of
KDE, running on top of the Cygwin version XFree86 in your Cygwin for windows
environment, this should work.

There shouldn't be any porting required.  You may want to put your time into
improving cygwin ports of these software packages, since all of these are
ongoing efforts.

 HTH,

Malcolm