[winGRASS] cygwin and winGRASS status update

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 3 11:58:50 EDT 2001

Hi John, hi all interested in winGRASS

(cc to grass5, gav)

[Note: the current problem of winGRASS is the lack of a generic
 GRASS windows driver. As using a Windows-Xserver at time, the installation
 is pretty complicated. If a generic GRASS windows driver would be available
 GRASS installation would become a snap]

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:31:27AM -0600, John Huddleston wrote:
[...]
> Once upon a time, I wrote to Markus about getting a small
> team together for 3-5 days to hammer out the issues together.
> I still think this is a good idea.   If there are funds, or if we could
> get a sponsor for the WinGRASS version, this would help.
> We could cut a WinGRASS CD, charge $79 (US) and help
> defray the costs.

I still like this idea! Even using existing GPL'ed software to
extract their driver and modify for GRASS might be a way (gnuplot or
similar).

Ideas to support a winGRASS developers meeting are:

 - find a generous sponsor (or more) to fund a GRASS monitor driver for
   windows
 - start to presale a WinGRASS CDROM. I am sure that *many* people would
   purchase such a CDROM, but I am not sure how many could be sold in advance
   to collect money for a winGRASS developers meeting.

The German "GRASS Anwender-Vereinigung e.V." (GAV) is a forum to collect
fundings and to donate to such projects. But at time the GAV is far away
to sponsor such a meeting.

Probably there is a company or institution to spend a part of their "ESRI
tax" or whatever to push this idea?

Markus Neteler