[winGRASS] cygwin and winGRASS status update

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Tue Jul 3 09:31:27 EDT 2001

Hi Andreas, (Cc to WinGRASS list)

Yes, I do recommend compiling as many of the "third-party"
non-Cygwin distribution libraries as you use.  The tcl/tk system
is built by Cygwin now.   Corinna built the last version of the
rpclib.   I'll look into the RPC for us.

Perhaps we can have a new section in the cvs (at the same
level as grass but not under grass) only related to the wingrass
builds.   That would take care of our concerns.  However, as
Bernhard has pointed out in the past, this brings up issues of
authorship, maintenance, etc.    We could do an import of the
other libraries and not maintain them.  Building the supporting
libraries under Windows is complicated.  Whatever we can do
to simplify it would go a long way towards making the builds
easier.

Once upon a time, I wrote to Markus about getting a small
team together for 3-5 days to hammer out the issues together.
I still think this is a good idea.   If there are funds, or if we could
get a sponsor for the WinGRASS version, this would help.
We could cut a WinGRASS CD, charge $79 (US) and help
defray the costs.

John Huddleston