[winGRASS] Very newbe compile problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Feb 11 19:16:07 EST 2002

Fred Aldrich wrote:

> I am trying my FIRST compile of ANY OpenSource/GNU system under CYGWIN on NT4.0 SP 6.
>
> I used the configure command as specified and got the following message(s)
>
> checking for gd.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate GD includes.
>
> So - what is GD,

GD is a library for drawing graphics to GIF/PNG/JPEG/BMP images. It is
used by the PNG driver (which allows you to use the various d.*
commands to generate a GIF/PNG image).

> where do I get it.

You can get it from:

	http://www.boutell.com/gd/

This (and all other dependencies) should be described in the
"REQUIREMENTS.html" file.

> May I have it and I need to include somethin in my PATH.

AFAIK, there isn't a Cygwin package for GD, so you probably don't have
it.

BTW: GRASS has a lot of external dependencies, most of which are only
used by a few programs. If you don't want to download and compile
libraries for programs which you aren't likely to use, you can just
disable the package with the corresponding --without-* configure
switch (e.g. --without-gd).