[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS5] Windows native Xdriver

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat May 11 08:03:11 EDT 2002

Mike Thomas wrote:

> > revision 1.5
> > date: 2002/05/03 22:12:20;  author: mike;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
> > Reinstate old Makefiles until new Gmakefiles work.
> > What problem did you have with the Gmakefiles? I can't find any
> > reference to it in your emails.
>
> I didn't mention it (as also the missing functions you later added) - I was
> mostly interested in the functionality issue.
>
> The problem:

> Gmakefile line 12 - contains explicit .o action
> Modify it to eliminate the action

> I decided at the time that someone must have been experimenting with the
> makefiles and forgotten to finish the project.

OK. The problem is that gmake5 can't handle a .o file being built from
anything other than a .c file, which conflicts with rxvt_res.o being
built from rxvt.rc.

> As one of Malcolm's aims is/was to fold the changes we make back into the
> Cygwin libW11 I decided that it was easier to replace the original
> Makefiles, leave the new GMakefiles largely intact (sole exception being the
> top level windows directory Gmakefile) and to ignore the problem as it had
> no impact on functionality.

The main reason why I wanted to switch to Gmakefiles was that there is
an alternate build mechanism (in the "mk" directory) which doesn't use
gmake5. Instead, it generates static makefiles (for GNU make) from the
Gmakefiles.

However, libW11 appears to be too much of a special case, so I'll just
resurrect the original Makefile.