[winGRASS] running GRASS on windowsXP first time

Wilhelm "Chip" Kogelmann wjk11 at psu.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:33:17 EST 2003

Hi All,

I've successfully loaded cygwin and installed grass on my window XP
machine. Now when I try to run GRASS I get the error:

 > [: and: unknown operand > usage: /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock file pid
 > Unable to properly access /cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/Kogelmann/.gislock5
 > Please notify system personel.

I've searched the archives of this list and many have had this same
problem.  I know I need to specify a new home directory that doesn't have
spaces in the path but could someone please tell me specifically how to do
this?

thanks very much,

Chip

Wilhelm Chip Kogelmann