[winGRASS] Question

Alberto Fritis F. afritis at puc.cl
Tue Jan 7 13:10:12 EST 2003

I am Alberto Fritis ,student of Hydraulic Engineering of the Catholic
University of Chile, at the moment I am working in the installation of Grass
5,0, but found some difficulties. The main one occurs when opening
stargrass.bat a message appears indicating an error with xmodmap, I imagine
that it is related to Cygwin.

The OS that I have installed in my computer is Windows 2000 professional
edition. I have followed the installation document step by step, but I have
not been successful. One of the hypothesis I am considering is one of mutual
incompatibility with the hardware of the computer, another is that something
is not installed correctly because the files which are indicated in the
installation document have changed name. Can you indicate me the new file
names ? .Also I believe that another source of error is the mutual
incompatibility of software with the platform I am using.

I am not very familiar with UNIX. the other question I have has to do with
the execution of the program, is grass5 the command to make begin the
program operate?. Can this same command be introduced directly in the batch
or must I be located in /usr/local/bin. I have tried several options without
success. Another question that I have is like publishing stargrass.bat since
according to the installation document a modification according to the local
conditions is due to do .

Another problem with which I found is that the Web pages with the detailed
installation procedure are apparently outdated. Can you send me a document
of installation more recent than the one than I found and that it has date
2002/12/18. I would need more specific instructions to install and operate
Grass 5.0 under Windows 2000. Links indicated in this same document have
been changed.

I would greatly appreciate your help with the above questions. Thank you
very much

Alberto Fritis
Student
Civil Hydraulic Engineering