[winGRASS] Question

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 8 03:54:01 EST 2003

Hi,

> Alberto Fritis

> The main one occurs when opening
> stargrass.bat a message appears indicating an error with
> xmodmap, I imagine
> that it is related to Cygwin.

I will have to test with the lastest version of cygwin & cygwin Xfree to
verify.  I haven't seen any error with xmodmap so far.

> The OS that I have installed in my computer is Windows 2000
> professional
> edition. I have followed the installation document step by
> step, but I have
> not been successful. One of the hypothesis I am considering
> is one of mutual
> incompatibility with the hardware of the computer, another is
> that something
> is not installed correctly because the files which are
> indicated in the
> installation document have changed name. Can you indicate me
> the new file
> names ? .Also I believe that another source of error is the mutual
> incompatibility of software with the platform I am using.

I have installed and used various versions of Cygwin and Cygwin Xfree86
on Windows 98/NT/2K/XP with Grass 5.0.beta versions and the final Grass
5.0.0, and at times incompatibilities have ocurred, mainly because
cygwin is not quite Unix.  Usually, in recent versions this is easy to
fix.

We'll have to test the new Cygwin and Cygwin Xfree again.....

> I am not very familiar with UNIX. the other question I have
> has to do with
> the execution of the program, is grass5 the command to make begin the
> program operate?. Can this same command be introduced
> directly in the batch
> or must I be located in /usr/local/bin. I have tried several
> options without
> success. Another question that I have is like publishing
> stargrass.bat since
> according to the installation document a modification
> according to the local
> conditions is due to do .

The command grass5 is needed at the command line to start grass within
an X window.  It you use the startgrass.bat file you should be already
in the start menu.

> Another problem with which I found is that the Web pages with
> the detailed
> installation procedure are apparently outdated. Can you send
> me a document
> of installation more recent than the one than I found and
> that it has date
> 2002/12/18. I would need more specific instructions to
> install and operate
> Grass 5.0 under Windows 2000. Links indicated in this same
> document have
> been changed.

First, I will have to say that it is impossible to keep up with the
Cygwin/Cygwin Xfree changes over the last couple of years.  Other than
those:

Some of the instructions may seem outdated to users of W2K or XP, but
they were written for users of NT and updated over time.  We review and
update these procedures as time permits, but they still seemed OK the
last time I checked.  I'll check again, but in the meantime are there
any links or items that you feel we should look at?

> I would greatly appreciate your help with the above
> questions. Thank you
> very much

HTHP

Malcolm