[winGRASS] Problems with GRASS 5.0

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 9 13:41:03 EST 2003

Alberto Fritis F. wrote:

> 5) The file xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar was download. The following line was
> written:
> tar xzf /cygdrive/c/grass3/xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz
>
> C:grass3  is the folder where the file when unloading it from Internet was
> kept

Note that the xtcltk package has to be extracted from the root
directory, so that all of the files go into /usr/local/* (e.g.
wish.exe should be in /usr/local/bin). Also, you need to ensure that
the "official" Cygwin Tcl/Tk package *isn't* installed.

> But grass does not begin. I would like to know that she is what she is
> happening, that is to say, if I badly made something in the installation or
> is a problem in startgrass.bat that must be edited again.

Setting up X on Cygwin is quite complicated, especially if you aren't
familiar with Unix or X.

Initially, you should attempt to get GRASS working without X. If GRASS
is installed correctly, then running "grass5 -text" from within the
Cygwin shell should work. If it doesn't, there's a problem with GRASS
itself, which should be fixed before you attempt to use it with X.

The only GRASS features which require X are tcltkgrass and NVIZ.
Hopefully, it will be possible to use tcltkgrass on Cygwin without X
in the near future, although NVIZ will require X for the foreseeable
future.