[winGRASS] Problems with the operation of grass5

Alberto Fritis F. afritis at puc.cl
Tue Jan 14 11:19:38 EST 2003

Dear Friends:

After many attempts and changes I have managed to make begin grass with
cygwin. Now my problem is with the operation. I have unloaded the data
spearfish, also I have decompressed them. They have been lodged in
/usr/local/grassdata.

When writing grass5 the shown screen is the following:

WELCOME TO GRASS            version 5.0.0pre3   january 2002

1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials
2) When working on your location. the following materials are extremely
useful:
 - A topo map of your area
 - Current catalog of available computer maps

3)......

Then I press return.

Then it appears another screen that location requests, database and Mapset.
In location I write spearfish, in mapset I write permanent (also I have
tried with my username), in database I write
/usr/local/grassdata/spearfish/PERMANENT.

In the following screen is the following thing:

LOCATION <spearfish> - doesn't exists

Availablre locations:

Would you like to create location <spearfish> <y/n>

I write y

Then in the next screen:

To create a new Location .....

Do you have all this infotmation for location <spearfish>?<y/n>

I write y

Then in the next screen:

Please specify the coordinate system for location <spearfish>

A x,y
B Latitude-Longitude

> I write C (UTM)

Also I have tried with the other options.

UTM coordinate system ? y/n => y

In the next screen:

Please enter a one line descrimtion for location <spearfish>

I write: sample

In the next screen :

DEFINE THE DEFAULT REGION

...(I do not understand that it is what there is to answer)

Modifications are not made. And esc/return is pressed.

I accept the region. Then the following message is shown:

LOCATION <spearfish> created
But the PROJECTION information files were not created!
You must run g.setproj successfully before projection software will work.

Hit RETURN.

Then one becomes to the screen where it was asked for location, database and
mapset.

I have the following questions:

1)What it was described previously, this made good.??

2)Where the commandos in software introduce themselves ??

I would like to know if another form exists to use grass that is easier and
more interactive.

In special it requests to which it step by step indicates to me that to do,
since I have followed what is in manual the online one, but without
favorable result.

Thank you very much

Alberto Fritis