[winGRASS] Problems with the operation of grass5

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 14 11:30:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:19:38PM +0000, Alberto Fritis F. wrote:
> Dear Friends:
>
> After many attempts and changes I have managed to make begin grass with
> cygwin. Now my problem is with the operation. I have unloaded the data
> spearfish, also I have decompressed them. They have been lodged in
> /usr/local/grassdata.
>
> When writing grass5 the shown screen is the following:
>
> WELCOME TO GRASS            version 5.0.0pre3   january 2002
[...]
> Then I press return.
>
> Then it appears another screen that location requests, database and Mapset.
> In location I write spearfish,
right.

> in mapset I write permanent (also I have
working, but you better use your user name to work in an own
mapset leaving PERMANENT as is.

> tried with my username),

It will ask you: "Really create mapset XXX", you will answer "y".
(mhh, does it really ask? can't remember. anyway.).

> in database I write
> /usr/local/grassdata/spearfish/PERMANENT.

Wrong. Here you have to specify only the path:
/usr/local/grassdata

(spearfish/PERMANENT was already defined above).

Cheers

 Markus