[winGRASS] wingrass

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Dec 4 12:02:04 EST 2004

nhrao at deas.harvard.edu wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed the Wingrass (5.7.0) primaries. I am
> totally new to GRASS and Unix. I have experience other gis like ArcGIS. I
> have also downloaded the spearfish dataset.
>
> after typing startx and grass57 in the cygwin window, the interface asking
> for the database location etc. opens. how do i move from here. can someone
> take me through the initial steps. the online manual does not seem to have
> the details or can someone point me to a starter manual.

If you have installed the spearfish dataset, and want to use it, on
the startup screen fill in the fields as follows:

DATABASE: The Cygwin path to the directory where the spearfish dataset
is installed. This directory should contain the subdirectory named
"spearfish57".

[If you don't have a "spearfish57" directory, but just have one called
"spearfish", you have installed the 5.0/5.3/5.4 version of the
spearfish dataset. 5.7 uses a different format for vector and site
data, so any vector examples won't work with the old dataset.]

LOCATION: Should be "spearfish57".

In GRASS, a location essentially defines a coordinate system (e.g.
projection, zone (for UTM), and optionally an ellipsoid and datum).
All maps within a given location use the same coordinate system, so
that you can meaningfully overlay or combine maps.

MAPSET: Can be anything you like, but the default is your username.
But don't use "PERMANENT" here. The PERMANENT mapset is treated
specially; in particular, you can access data from the PERMANENT
mapset regardless of which mapset you use in the startup screen.

The mapset is essentially just a subdirectory of the location. That
directory is used for storing all newly-created maps. You can read
maps from any mapset in the current location using the map at mapset
syntax.