[winGRASS] problem starting grass

Gerrit P. Haase gp at familiehaase.de
Sat Oct 9 21:17:04 EDT 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
>> Martin Perra wrote:
>>
>>> when I type "grass57" I get a popup titled "wish8.3.exe - unable to
>>> locate
>>> component"  The message says "This application failed to start because
>>> cygwinb19.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this
>>> problem"
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Get a new TCL package, yours must be at least 5 years old.
>>
>> Gerrit
>

> No, don't update Tcl/Tk, Grass requires a modified version of Tcl/Tk
> found at:
>   http://grass.itc.it/grass57/binary/mswindows_cygwin
> download:
>   xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz
> You can use Cygwin setup to un-install any existing Cygwin version of
> Tcl/Tk, or you can use some other method to hide it. You can issue the
> command 'which wish' to see which version Grass is finding, or 'which -a
> wish' to see all versions of wish which are installed. (wish is a
> component of Tcl/Tk).
>
> I have no idea what's with the "cygwinb19.dll", I don't have one on my
> system.

If this TCL/TK depends on a 5 years old version of Cygwin, then good
night, I'm sure that there are more than one ports of recent TCL
packages to recent Cygwin versions out there in the web, so why should
one use a beta version which b19 is (that was the beta before beta20).
We have five years later and Cygwin is at version 1.5, no beta, more
stable IMO.

In the document at the website you quopted is stated:
"Prerequisites:
  - Cygwin, latest release,"

No word about b19, I assume the TCL package is broken, ask the maintainer.

And could you tell me who is this maintainer and what is the difference
with this TCL package?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=