[winGRASS] Re: problem starting grass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 13 14:51:41 EDT 2004

Martin Perra wrote:

> I am wondering if it may be becuase of my home path? After install, it is
> set to a network share, which is my windows home directory.  Could this be
> causing a problem?  How might I fix it?  I am fairly new to Unix-like
> sytems.

Network shares shouldn't be a problem.

At one point, GRASS used to have a problem if the path to either your
home directory or the GRASS database directory contained spaces, but
that has since been fixed (at least, for all core functionality; there
might be some individual programs which still have a problem with it).

The most common filesystem problem with running GRASS on Cygwin is if
the GRASS database directory is on a filesystem which is mounted in
text mode (i.e. where Cygwin does automatic CRLF<->LF translation).
Either add "binmode" to the value of the CYGWIN environment variable,
or use Cygwin's "mount" program to change the mode to binary.

> I have just tried copying mysql.exe and the dll to /usr/local/bin but that
> didn't help.
>
> When installed cygwin, I got this message the first time I ran it.
>
>  Your group is currently \"mkgroup\".  This indicates that
>   the /etc/group (and possibly /etc/passwd) files should be rebuilt.
>   See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
>   mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
>   mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
>   Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

This might be an issue. GRASS requires that you own the mapset
directory which you select in the startup screen, so you need a valid
user ID (in /etc/passwd). Check that the output from the "id" and
"whoami" programs makes sense.