[winGRASS] MrSID into wingrass

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 09:37:16 EDT 2005

On 7/14/05, Gerry James <gjames at bgcengineering.ca> wrote:
>  I have had difficulty importing MrSID files into wingrass.  I have no
> problem with geotiff or other raster formats.  When I looked up the
> supported formats in the 6.1 manual I found  Multi-resolution Seamless
> Image Database (MrSID) listed.  Is this only available in the Linux
> version or is there a patch.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Gerry
>
> Gerry James, Geomatics Manager
> BGC Engineering Inc.
> Geomatics and Information Management Group
> 604.684.5900 x.126

I assume you are using r.in.gdal?  Gdal can be compiled to support
reading MrSID format, but I do not know if the current cygwin grass
binary distribution of gdal includes MrSID support. You could:
1. build cygwin grass/gdal with MrSID - pretty hard.
2. build standalone gdal w/ MrSID support - medium hard, requires MS VC
3. find a gdal binary w/ MrSID support - I'm not sure what's available.
4. use a commandline tool available from the lizardtech wed site
called "mrsiddecode.exe" which can be used to batch process multiple
sid file to tiffs. This is brute force but easy.

HTH,
Rich

--
Richard Greenwood