AW: [winGRASS] GRASS_HTML_BROWSER

Marco Lechner marco.lechner at geographie.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 11 05:23:56 EST 2005

Hi Scott,

if you used the CygwinGRASS-CD from
https://www.geographie.uni-freiburg.de/~mlechner/CygwinGRASS/ to install
your GRASS on M$ this problem is normal. (By the way the CD is not created
by Huidae Cho, it's created by Marco Lechner - that's me ;-)

theres no Browserinstallation (konqueror) included in the
Cygwin-Installation (because most M$-Machines come with a browser.
Read this first:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/wingrass/2004-December/000643.html
afterwards you could create links like written down there:

ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Programme/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe' /bin/firefox.exe
or
ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Programme/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe'
/bin/iexplore.exe
if you create a link like this GRASS starts firefox from within the
GRASS-environment withput setting GRASS_HTML_BROWSER:
ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Programme/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe' /bin/konqueror or
ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Programme/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe' /bin/konqueror

of course you have to change the path if your Browser-executables are in
different locations

The problem is, that the command created by g.manual is i.e.:
GRASS 6.0.cvs:~ >konqueror "/usr/local/grass6.0.cvs/docs/html/index.html" ->
couldn't display
the result is attached as an screenshot.

The command that should be generated within Cygwin should be one of those:

GRASS 6.0.cvs:~ >iexplore
"c:/cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.cvs/docs/html/index.html" O.K.
GRASS 6.0.cvs:~ > iexplore
"c:\cygwin\usr\local\grass6.0.cvs\docs\html\index.html" O.K.
GRASS 6.0.cvs:~ > firefox
"c:\cygwin\usr\local\grass6.0.cvs\docs\html\index.html" O.K.

The IE handles \ and / firefox needs / otherwise firefox creates an
errormessage or opens from within GRASS with displaying the default
startup-page.

GRASS 6.0.cvs:~ > firefox
"c:/cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.cvs/docs/html/index.html" -> ERROR

Does anybody have time to add a Cygwin-hack into g.manual, ... ??

Marco

Marco Lechner

office:
Department of Physische Geographie