[winGRASS] grass.bat not found

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sat Oct 7 07:48:59 EDT 2006

Dear win-GRASS users,

I have to install GRASS for a colleague.... but on windows.

It is great that the installation for windows is becoming easier, but I still
run into a few problems (probably because I am used to the Linux way)

I downloaded all files into c:/grass and installed them as described at
http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html

However, when I run inst_grass.bat I get the message:

/inst_grass/sqlite-3.3.6-1.zip or /inst_grass/sqlite-
3.3.6-1.zip.zip.
unzip:  cannot find either /inst_grass/xdr-4.0-1.zip
or /inst_grass/xdr-4.0-1.zi
p.zip.
unzip:  cannot find either /inst_grass/grass.zip or
/inst_grass/grass.zip.zip.
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
GRASS installation completed.
Run c:\msys\1.0\grass.bat to start the GRASS GIS
Manager.

However in c:\msys\1.0\ there is no grass.bat file.

This problem has been addressed before but I could not find any replies.

What I do not understand is this part:

>If you have already installed the first release (2006-09-13), please update
>grass/gdal-1.3.2-1.zip and grass/sqlite-3.3.6-1.zip too. Download these files
>along with grass/grass-2006-09-17.zip and uncompress/overwrite old files under
>C:\msys\1.0\local.

What shall I do if this is my first windows installation? Just download
grass-2006-09-17.zip nothing else?

Thanks in advance, Martin

Martin Wegmann <wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de>