[winGRASS] Updating CVS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 29 18:18:51 EDT 2007

Colin Nielsen wrote:

> Just wondering if it is possible to update the 6.3.cvs version for the
> native wingrass. It works fairly well but there are still several
> problems. If some of these have been fixed since September it would be
> good to have an update. Either a new "grass.zip" or some instructions
> on how to update from the latest CVS.

If you're willing to build GRASS yourself, the native Windows version
is built from the same code as the other versions, so the generic
instructions are mostly valid.

Information on obtaining the source code from CVS can be found here:

	http://grass.ibiblio.org/devel/cvs.php

There are some hints for compiling on Windows here:

	http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status

> Secondly, my chief complaint with the current version (which maybe is
> a problem with 6.3 as a whole) is that I can't see the output of
> whichever module unless I run it using the command in the shell
> window. Often the problems that do occur just flash a window and close
> before I can see what I've done wrong.

Quite a few modules aren't built at all on Windows. If a command isn't
built, you won't even get the options dialog (which is generated by
the module itself).

In any case, there have been quite a lot of Windows-related fixes
since September, so it may be worth checking the most recent version.